History of Hotel d'Aubusson Paris

In the 17th century, Hotel d’Aubusson was known as the Hôtel de Mouy awarded to Anne Baudoin, having belonged to the prosecutor GALLEBOURG and his daughter, Mademoiselle de GALLEBOURG. Then, it was inhabited in 1787 by Professor ROULAND, a professor in Physics…
In the 19th century, we find the trace of the Hotel AUBUSSON at 39, rue Dauphine…
Simone de Beauvoir lived there in late 1942-early 1943.

Café Laurent: literary circles in the 18th century

Opened in 1690 by François LAURENT, Cafe Laurent was the hotspot for literary and artistic personalities, where educated men, philosophers and writers of the Encyclopedia liked to gather around a new hot beverage called “Eau de Café” (coffeed water).

Fontenelle, Houdar de la Motte, Voltaire and Rousseau contributed to the intellectual reputation of this new site that featured this revolutionary new beverage of which Montesquieu said: “At the Café Laurent, coffee gives great spirit to those who drink it”…

The famous cave “The Taboo”

In 1946, this café was transformed into the nightclub “Taboo”, which very quickly became the hotspot of the postwar intellectuals (Sartre, Camus, Simone de Beauvoir, and Queneau, writers, intellectuals and other night owls alike. The following year it grew even bigger by extending its activity underground. (where our banqueting facilities are located today.) The youth of Saint Germain des prés had found their sanctuary and it became the most popular jazz club in the area, orchestrated by the Claude Abadie orchestra, featuring many artists over the years and in particular no other than the infamous trumpet player, Boris Vian…Juliette Greco, for instance, was introduced by Vian and started her singing career at Taboo…

The Rue Dauphine

Rue Dauphine was built in 1607 by King Henry 4th, between the river Seine and the gardens of the Augustine convent. The monks opposed to the construction and acquisition of their land but were later convinced by Henry 4th who threatened to pave the way by means of bombarding the convent with canon balls…
This was the first straight street and became quickly the most attractive street by its overwhelming size and rectitude.

The street was named after “Le Dauphin” which is the nickname of “the young king”. Given the fact that the word “rue” is feminine in conjugation, Dauphin becomes “la rue Dauphine” and so our street was born…

Fullscreen